[linux-audio-user] A dumb Unix question about console output

Hi,

I hesitate to ask this here, since it's gotta be a basic shell thing, and
certainly not audio specific, so if you want to flame me for me OT and
laziness, go ahead.

The problem is that when I run I run an X application from a console (for
example, "pd &" or "rosegarden &", the console output from all the
applications I run are interleaved onto the xterm that I started them from.

That part is fine.

The part that is not fine, is that the output is not labeled with the
application that it came from.

For example, I seem to remember that if in the past, if you ran grep, for
example, anything that grep sent to its console would be prefixed by "grep:".
I thought that this was a convention that the apps followed, and not a shell
thing (I seem to remember "printf("%s: ...", argv[0], ....")

Hopefully, I'm wrong about this, and there is a shell option that puts the
application name in front of every line of output. Is there?

If it's not something I can make happen in the shell, then how is everyone
dealing with this? Currently I am actually opening a seperate xterm for each
X application that I run, which is quite cumbersome, because it means that I
have to manage twice minus one as many windows as I would if I could have all
the output into one xterm, identified with where it came from.

Looking forward to any ideas and any pointers to my misconceptions.

Larry Troxler