[linux-audio-user] Multiple (delta xx) cards

Here's some brief background before I get to my question:

-I'm building a linux daw from scratch (including external hardware)
-I've just put together a dual athlon 2400+ machine and have
(tentatively) installed mandrake
-I'm running out of money *fast*

The third point has put a damper on my soundcard/preamp/mic plans.
Initially I'll be happy to just record 1-2 channels at a time, but my
goal is to be able to do a decent job with a drum kit, possibly with
guitar or bass at the same time. I figure I can squeeze that in to eight
channels.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to buy a delta 44 now (for financial
reasons), and then buy another, or possibly a 66, later on and add it to
the set up. If I do this I can get a decent mic and preamp. Otherwise, I
have to go with the 1010 now and use a $20 radio shack mic until my bank
account recovers.

I checked around the lad archives and this question seems to come up
from time to time, but I'm wondering if this is possible with what's
currently out there.

Thanks,
Peter