[linux-audio-user] looking for help with ecamegapedal 0.4.3

Hello

I have recently compiled and installed ecamegapedal v0.4.3 - [libecasound
2.3.0]. and I'm having some problems getting it to work right. I thought I'd
post my questions to this list as I'm assuming Kai Vehmanen subscribes to
this list as well.

First off, ecamegapedal is exactly what I am looking for - an easy way to turn
a computer into an effects box. Realtime reverb, delay, LAPSPA plugins...
Perfect.

My two problems:
First is that I'm getting a lot of backround distortion/ static. I can hear my
input signal fine and the selected effects work as they should. The level
meters are quite active when there is no signal input/ quiet passage and the
distortion is a low level buzzing/ static that is totally related to running
the program.
The other problem is periodically the computer totally locks up, GUI, mouse,
keyboard, everything freezes and I have to do a hard reset (no other program
that I've run seems to cause this on my computer but the computer is old and
flakey in other respects...).

I have tried:
Running as root- a little less distortion but not much difference.
Adding "default-audio-format=s16_le,2,22050,i" to my ~/.ecasound/ecasoundrc
file. This doesn't seem to change the static problem.

Anyway, be great if it worked better, thought I'd ask...
Thanks for any input,
Paul

Software details:
libecasound 2.3.0
gcc (GCC) 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)
redhat 8.0, 2.4.18-14 kernel with ALSA 0.9.8 drivers
jack-audio-connection-kit-0.80.0 installed but not used
qt-3.0.5 installed
kernel is not low-latency (that I know of)

Hardware details:
Intel Pentium pro 200MHz,  i440FX chipset
256MB RAM
Creative SB AWE64 ISA soundcard
signal source is an amplified microphone going into the line input of the
sound card