Re: Re: [RFC 8/9] PCI/pwrctl: add PCI power control core code

On Fri, Feb 09, 2024 at 10:04:33AM +0100, Lukas Wunner wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2024 at 05:26:16PM +0100, Bartosz Golaszewski wrote:
> > >
> > > I like both of these.
> > >
> > > I guess the bigger question is how the flow would look like in the event
> > > that we need to power-cycle the attached PCIe device, e.g. because
> > > firmware has gotten into a really bad state.
> > >
> > > Will we need an operation that removes the device first, and then cut
> > > the power, or do we cut the power and then call unprepared()?
> >
> > How would the core be notified about this power-cycle from the PCI
> > subsystem? I honestly don't know. Is there a notifier we could
> > subscribe to? Is the device unbound and rebound in such case?
>
> To power-manage the PCI device for runtime PM (suspend to D3cold)
> or system sleep, you need to amend:
>
>   platform_pci_power_manageable()
>   platform_pci_set_power_state()
>   platform_pci_get_power_state()
>   platform_pci_refresh_power_state()
>   platform_pci_choose_state()
>
> E.g. platform_pci_power_manageable() would check for presence of a
> regulator in the DT and platform_pci_set_power_state() would disable
> or enable the regulator.

This will work if the sole control of the resources lies in these platform_*()
APIs. But in reality, the controller drivers are the ones controlling the power
supply to the devices  and with this series, the control would be shifted partly
to pwrctl driver.

I think what we need is to call in the callbacks of the drivers in a hierarchial
order.

- Mani

--
மணிவண்ணன் சதாசிவம்

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [Linux for Sparc]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]