Re: Re: [RFC 8/9] PCI/pwrctl: add PCI power control core code

On Wed, Feb 07, 2024 at 05:26:16PM +0100, Bartosz Golaszewski wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 2, 2024 at 5:52???PM Bjorn Andersson <andersson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 02, 2024 at 10:11:42AM +0100, Bartosz Golaszewski wrote:
> > > I was also thinking about pci_pwrctl_device_ready() or
> > > pci_pwrctl_device_prepared().
> >
> > I like both of these.
> >
> > I guess the bigger question is how the flow would look like in the event
> > that we need to power-cycle the attached PCIe device, e.g. because
> > firmware has gotten into a really bad state.
> >
> > Will we need an operation that removes the device first, and then cut
> > the power, or do we cut the power and then call unprepared()?
>
> How would the core be notified about this power-cycle from the PCI
> subsystem? I honestly don't know. Is there a notifier we could
> subscribe to? Is the device unbound and rebound in such case?

To power-manage the PCI device for runtime PM (suspend to D3cold)
or system sleep, you need to amend:

  platform_pci_power_manageable()
  platform_pci_set_power_state()
  platform_pci_get_power_state()
  platform_pci_refresh_power_state()
  platform_pci_choose_state()

E.g. platform_pci_power_manageable() would check for presence of a
regulator in the DT and platform_pci_set_power_state() would disable
or enable the regulator.

To reset the device by power cycling it, amend pci_reset_fn_methods[]
to provide a reset method which disables and re-enables the regulator.
Then you can choose that reset method via sysfs and power-cycle the
device.  The PCI core will also automatically use that reset method
if there's nothing else available (e.g. if no Secondary Bus Reset
is available because the device has siblings or children, or if FLR
is not supported).

Thanks,

Lukas

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [Linux for Sparc]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]