Re: Support for the Android emulator using the msm8960 device build

On Sat, Feb 04, 2012 at 11:43:41AM -0500, Merrill, William M. wrote:
> Thanks David,
>
> I understand the goldfish target is a distinct target in the build
> environment that allows you to build the complete AOSP including the
> kernel for the emulator. However I thought the qemu basis of the
> emulator allows any device AOSP build to be run against a goldfish
> kernel.
>
> As I understand it you can build for real devices, then run components
> (except for the kernel) using the prebuilt kernel. While there is a
> goldfish target to build the emulator, you can run the emulator. What I
> would like to do is run the device specified build on the emulator. I
> have done this using different code bases (the cyanogenmod) but have not
> yet been able to do this with code aurora's.

Ah, I understand, I think.

The CodeAurora tree appears to not have the goldfish support in it
(it's a separate branch in Google's tree).  It shouldn't be too hard
to make the tree just use a specific kernel image rather than building
on.  There are some commits by David 'Digit' Turner in the ICS
mentioning 'atree'.  It mentions a -kernel
prebuilt/android-arm/kernel-qemu-armv7 option.  I'm not sure how to
use it, since I don't really do much outside of the kernel.

David