Re: Support for the Android emulator using the msm8960 device build

On Sat, Feb 04, 2012 at 11:43:41AM -0500, Merrill, William M. wrote:

> I understand the goldfish target is a distinct target in the build
> environment that allows you to build the complete AOSP including the
> kernel for the emulator. However I thought the qemu basis of the
> emulator allows any device AOSP build to be run against a goldfish
> kernel.
>
> As I understand it you can build for real devices, then run components
> (except for the kernel) using the prebuilt kernel. While there is a
> goldfish target to build the emulator, you can run the emulator. What I
> would like to do is run the device specified build on the emulator. I
> have done this using different code bases (the cyanogenmod) but have not
> yet been able to do this with code aurora's.

The issue is that qemu would have to have code written for it to
emulate the hardware of the specific SoC you wish to use.  There is
support for a couple of real devices in qemu, but I don't believe any
MSM devices are in there.

David