Re: [RFC v2 17/37] lkl tools: host lib: virtio devices

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 12:16 PM Johannes Berg
<johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2019-11-26 at 11:09 +0100, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> > ----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
> > >
> > > I think it isn't possible, unless you use vhost-user over a unix domain
> > > socket internally to talk between the kernel (virtio_uml) and hypervisor
> > > (device) components.
> > >
> > > In virtio_uml, the device implementation is assumed to be a separate
> > > process with a vhost-user connection. Here in LKL, the virtio device is
> > > part of the "hypervisor", i.e. in the same process.
> >
> > Exactly, currently UML and LKL solve same things differently, but do we need to?
>
> It's not the same thing though :-)
>
> UML right now doesn't have or support virtio devices in the built-in
> hypervisor, what we wanted to use virtio for was explicitly for the
> vhost-user devices.
>
> LKL clearly wants to have device implementations in the hypervisor,
> perhaps for networking or console etc.? That _might_ be useful since it
> makes the device implementation more general, unlike the UML approach
> where all devices come with a kernel- and user-side and are special
> drivers in the kernel, vs. general virtio drivers.

That is correct. Initially we used the same UML model, with dedicated
drivers for LKL, and later switched to using the built-in virtio
drivers (so far for network and block devices).

> Now, arguably, since UML has all these already a combined UML/LKL
> doesn't actually *need* any virtio devices, since all (or at least most)
> of the things that could be covered by virtio today are already covered
> by UML devices (block, net, console, random).
>
> I'd probably say then that this can be removed from an initial "minimum
> viable product" of LKL, since once merged with UML you get the devices
> from that. Later, we could decide that UML devices actually are better
> done as virtio, and support something like this.

I agree, I think it make sense to drop these since the problem of
dedicated vs generic / virtio drivers are orthogonal with regard to
UML and LKL unification and can later be worked on.