Re: [RFC v2 17/37] lkl tools: host lib: virtio devices

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
>> My point is that UML and LKL should try to do use the same concept/code
>> regarding virtio. At the end of day both use virtual devices which use
>> facilities from the host.
>> If this is really not possible it needs a good explanation.
>
> I think it isn't possible, unless you use vhost-user over a unix domain
> socket internally to talk between the kernel (virtio_uml) and hypervisor
> (device) components.
>
> In virtio_uml, the device implementation is assumed to be a separate
> process with a vhost-user connection. Here in LKL, the virtio device is
> part of the "hypervisor", i.e. in the same process.

Exactly, currently UML and LKL solve same things differently, but do we need to?

If we fail to agree on such a high level I might make sense to reevaluate to option
of not merging UML and LKL at all.
But this is beyond my decisional power and something I'd like to avoid.

Thanks,
//richard