Re: Overlapping ioremap() calls, set_memory_*() semantics

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> > > So to go back to the original suggestion from Luis, I've quoted it, but
> > > with a s/overlapping/aliased substitution:

> > > I'd say that since the overwhelming majority of ioremap() calls are not
> > > aliased, ever, thus making it 'harder' to accidentally alias is probably
> > > a good idea.
> >
> > Did you mean 'aliased' or 'aliased with different cache attribute'?  The former
> > check might be too strict.
>
> I'd say even 'same attribute' aliasing is probably relatively rare.

 Please note that aliased cached mappings (any kinds of, not necessarily
from `ioremap') cause a lot of headache (read: handling trouble) with
architectures such as MIPS which support virtually indexed caches which
suffer from cache aliasing.  There is a risk of data corruption if the
same physical memory address space location is accessed through different
virtual mappings as not all hardware catches duplicate cache entries
created in such a case.

 We handle it in software for user mappings (although I keep having a
feeling something always keeps escaping, due to the vast diversity of
cache configurations possible), however I don't think we do for `ioremap',
so disallowing aliased `ioremap' mappings by default sounds like a good
idea to me.

 FWIW,

  Maciej