Re: SMP barriers semantics

Catalin Marinas wrote:
> On recent ARM cores, it's only the Strongly Ordered memory that can have
> the write buffering disabled. But using such mapping for
> dma_alloc_coherent() introduces other problems like cache attribute
> aliases for a physical location (since the kernel maps the RAM as Normal
> memory already). Such aliases are not allowed hence we moved to Normal
> Non-cacheable for dma_alloc_coherent().

I'm surprised aliases between Normal-Cached and Normal-Uncached are ok,
while aliases between Normal-Cached and SO-Uncached are not ok.

Is it theoretically ok by the ARM specs, or just optimistic programming? :-)

If optimism, it's easy to imagine an implementation where
(unrequested) speculative reads populate the cached mapping, and then
accesses to the Normal-Uncached alias of it get a cache hit and use
that, wrongly.  Or, conversely, if it definitely does not treat that
as a cache hit, it's hard to imagine why SO-Uncached would be different.

-- Jamie