Re: drivers/usb/musb/musb_io.h

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 11:52:48 +0300 Felipe Balbi <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wonder if it's possible to have the above patch applied so I can get rid
> of those stubs in musb_io.h

Someone would need to take care of it and document it and repair all
those driver which broke because they went and created private copies.

I could do some of that but I'm stuck at step #1.  What the heck _are_
these things?  Why do they exist?  What are their semantics?

The arm implementation says

 * Generic IO read/write.  These perform native-endian accesses.  Note
 * that some architectures will want to re-define __raw_{read,write}w.

which is somewhat clear as mud.  I'd guess that these are the MMIO
partners to insl and friends?

And then it has

extern void __raw_writesb(void __iomem *addr, const void *data, int bytelen);
extern void __raw_writesw(void __iomem *addr, const void *data, int wordlen);
extern void __raw_writesl(void __iomem *addr, const void *data, int longlen);

which is a bit odd.  I assume that "bytelen" should have been
"bytecount" or similar.