Re: MMU notifiers review and some proposals

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 06:29:09PM -0500, Jack Steiner wrote:

> > I also think we should be cautious to make this slowpath so horribly
> > slow. For KVM it's fine, but perhaps for GRU we'd actually want to
> > register quite a lot of notifiers, unregister them, and perhaps even
> > do per-vma registrations if we don't want to slow down other memory
> > management operations too much (eg. if it is otherwise just some
> > regular processes just doing accelerated things with GRU).
>
> I can't speak for other possible users of the mmu notifier mechanism
> but the GRU will only register a single notifier for a process.
> The notifier is registered when the GRU is opened and (currently)
> unregistered when the GRU is closed.
>
> If a task opens multiple GRUs (quite possible for threaded apps), all
> shared the same notifier. Regardless of the number of threads/opens,
> there will be a single notifier.

OK, sure, but you might have a lot of processes opening the GRU, no?
(I'm not sure how it is exactly going to be used, but if you have a
number of GRU units per blade...)

So you have a machine with 4096 CPUs, and maybe 4096 processes that
each have to lock the mapping of exec, glibc, pthreads, grulib, etc
etc.

Or you might have a situation where many short lived processes do
some operating on GRU.

Anyway, I won't dispute your data point (thanks for that), but still
noting that a very heavy registration is obviously less desirable
than a faster one, all else being equal...