Re: [rfc][patch 2/2] mm: introduce optional pte_special pte bit

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Nick Piggin wrote:

> Right, that's what I had hoped as well. But when I say pte_special
> *usable* by all architectures, I mean it is usable by all that can
> spare a bit in the pte. Apparently ARM can't because some some bug
> in an Xscale CPU or something (the thread is on linux-arch).

Hmm. Can you give a pointer to some browsable archive? I guess I should
subscribe, but there's too much email, too little time. linux-arch is one
of the lists that I probably should look at.

That said: especially for PFNMAP and friends, it may be possible to simply
re-use an existign hardware bit, like (for example) a "cacheable" bit.

That doesn't mean that such an architecture would have a free bit for any
*arbitrary* software use, but the "no <struct page> backing" is really a
pretty special feature, and may well map fairly well 1:1 with something
like a "cache disable" bit (which I do think ARM has).

It's not like we necessarily would want /dev/mem to be mapped cacheable
*anyway*, much less on some architecture with stupid virtual caches.

> I remember that too. I guess some wires got crossed somewhere. s390
> evidently does have free bits in their pte_present-type ptes.

I think they had two types of PTE's - 32-bit and 64-bit. Maybe it's just
the 32-bit one that was all used up (but see above - maybe cacheable bits
are doable?)

I do have to say, one of the reasons I enjoyed PFNMAP was that so far
we've basially been able to live without any SW-specified bits at all.
Yeah, we use "software bits" on architectures to emulate dirty/accessed,
but we have never really needed any "kernel internal bits". And I do think
that's generally a good idea.

So in that sense, I'd actually prefer the current setup if it's not a huge
pain. I saw your 5% number, but I really wonder about that one. Was that
perhaps with the much more expensive non-linear NUMA "pfn_to_page()"? THAT
expense would drown out any vma->vm_flags costs.

		Linus
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-arch" in