Re: Chromium sandbox on LoongArch and statx -- seccomp deep argument inspection again?

On Mon, 2024-02-26 at 10:20 +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

/* snip */

> > Or maybe we can just introduce a new AT_something to make statx
> > completely ignore pathname but behave like AT_EMPTY_PATH + "".
>
> I think this is better than going back to fstat64_time64(), but
> it's still not great because
>
> - all the reserved flags on statx() are by definition incompatible
>   with existing kernels that return -EINVAL for any flag they do
>   not recognize.

Oops, we are deeming passing undefined flags in "mask" undefined
behavior but not "flags", thus "wild software" may be relying on EINVAL
for invalid flags...  We *might* make this new AT_xxx a bit in mask
instead of flags but it would be very dirty IMO.

> - you still need to convince libc developers to actually use
>   the flag despite the backwards compatibility problem, either
>   with a fallback to the current behavior or a version check.

Let me ping some libc developers then...

> Using the NULL path as a fallback would solve the problem with
> seccomp, but it would not make the normal case any faster.

But "wild software" may be relying on a EFAULT for NULL path too...

/* snip */

https://xkcd.com/927/ :(

--
Xi Ruoyao <xry111@xxxxxxxxxxx>