Re: Chromium sandbox on LoongArch and statx -- seccomp deep argument inspection again?

在 2024-02-24星期六的 19:51 +0800,Huacai Chen写道:
> Hi, Xuerui,
>
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2024 at 2:10 PM WANG Xuerui <kernel@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Recently, we -- community LoongArch porters -- have noticed a
> > problem
> > where the Chromium sandbox apparently wants to deny statx [^1] so
> > it
> > could properly inspect arguments after the sandboxed process later
> > falls
> > back to fstat. The reasoning behind the change was not clear in the
> > patch; but we found out it's basically because there's currently
> > not a
> > "fd-only" version of statx, so that the sandbox has no way to
> > ensure the
> > path argument is empty without being able to peek into the
> > sandboxed
> > process's memory. For architectures able to do newfstatat though,
> > the
> > glibc falls back to newfstatat after getting -ENOSYS for statx,
> > then the
> > respective SIGSYS handler [^2] takes care of inspecting the path
> > argument, transforming allowed newfstatat's into fstat instead
> > which is
> > allowed and has the same type of return value.
> >
> > But, as loongarch is the first architecture to not have fstat nor
> > newfstatat, the LoongArch glibc does not attempt falling back at
> > all
> > when it gets -ENOSYS for statx -- and you see the problem there!
> >
> > Actually, back when the loongarch port was under review, people
> > were
> > aware of the same problem with sandboxing clone3 [^3], so clone was
> > eventually kept. Unfortunately it seemed at that time no one had
> > noticed
> > statx, so besides restoring fstat/newfstatat to loongarch uapi (and
> > postponing the problem further), it seems inevitable that we would
> > need
> > to tackle seccomp deep argument inspection; this is obviously a
> > decision
> > that shouldn't be taken lightly, so I'm posting this to restart the
> > conversation to figure out a way forward together. We basically
> > could do
> > one of below:
> >
> > - just restore fstat and be done with it;
> > - add a flag to statx so we can do the equivalent of just fstat(fd,
> > &out) with statx, and ensuring an error happens if path is not
> > empty in
> > that case;
> > - tackle the long-standing problem of seccomp deep argument
> > inspection (!).
> From my point of view, I prefer to "restore fstat", because we need
> use the Chrome sandbox everyday (even though it hasn't been upstream
> by now). But I also hope "seccomp deep argument inspection" can be
> solved in the future.

My idea is this problem needs syscalls to be designed with deep
argument inspection in mind; syscalls before this should be considered
as historical error and get fixed by resotring old syscalls.