Re: [net-next 0/3] Per epoll context busy poll support

On Mon, 5 Feb 2024 10:51:30 -0800 Joe Damato wrote:
> > We reused the gro_flush_timeout as an existing "user doesn't care if
> > packets get delayed by this much in worst case" value. If you set
> > SO_PREFER_BUSY_POLL the next time you busy pool the NAPI will be marked
> > as "already scheduled" and a timer is set (to gro_flush_timeout).
> > If NIC IRQ fires before gro_flush_timeout it gets ignored, because NAPI
> > is already marked as scheduled.
> > If you busy poll again the timer gets postponed for another
> > gro_flush_timeout nsec.
> > If timer fires we go back to normal NAPI processing.
>
> Ah, I see. From my reading of the code in busy_poll_stop (which could be
> wrong), defer_hard_irqs_count must also be non-zero to postpone the timer.
>
> Is that right?
>
> If so, I think the tricky thing with this is that these settings are
> system-wide, so they'd affect non-busy poll apps, too.
>
> I think in the ideal case being able to set these on a per-NAPI basis would
> be very helpful. Maybe something for me to try working on next.

If wonder if it'd be good enough to do:

	min(defer_hard_irqs_count, 1)

there. If caller asked to prefer busy poll they clearly want to poll.
An explicit per-NAPI API works too, but it's a bit more work.
If I was doing the work I'd try min(..., 1) with the workload.
If there's value in having the full config - go for it.