Re: copy on write for splice() from file to pipe?

On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 03:13:14PM -0800, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> I can certainly imagine TLS or similar protocols breaking if data
> changes if the implementation is too clever and retransmission
> happens.  Suppose 2000 bytes are sent via splice using in-kernel TLS,
> and it goes out on the wire as two TCP segments.  The first segment is
> dropped but the second is received.  The kernel resends the first
> segment using different data.  This really ought to cause an integrity
> check at the far end to fail.

The TLS layer is completely separate from TCP so it's like any
normal TCP user from user-space.  IOW the encrypted data will be
held by TCP until acknowledged so during retransmission it will
simply resend the previously encrypted data rather than encrypting
the same data twice.

Cheers,
--
Email: Herbert Xu <herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>