Re: + mm-thp-always-specify-disabled-vmas-as-nh-in-smaps.patch added to -mm tree

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018, Vlastimil Babka wrote:

> > I agree that it isn't terribly urgent, we can simply blacklist the kernel
> > versions where the problem occurs.  If others complain I would agree it
> > warrants backport to stable, but the stable rules specifically say it must
> > affect more than one user?  I don't think it would be best to guess.  But
> > when userspace was implemented to determine thp eligibility using the only
> > possible means to do so, it seems important to not break that.  We caught
> > that it broke us, hence the patch.
>
> There's also Michal's series to expand THP eligibility reporting. If it
> would be feasible for you to switch to that implementation in your
> userspace, and perhaps only locally and temporarily add your patch to
> your currently used older kernel versions, then the benefit would be one
> less obscure exception in the kernel API.
>
> If it's infeasible then I don't think further discussion is needed and
> we should abide by the do-not-break-userspace rule. I'd say stable is up
> to you as well in this case, whether you're going to consume the fixed
> stable versions.

Re-reading Documentation/process/stable-kernel-rules.rst it appears there
is no "one user" rule, I had thought that existed in the past.  So I think
this patch does meet stable criteria since it is known to break userspace.
Andrew, would you mind adding the following?

Cc: stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [4.13+]