Re: + mm-thp-always-specify-disabled-vmas-as-nh-in-smaps.patch added to -mm tree

On 12/21/18 10:27 AM, David Rientjes wrote:

>>> I notice that this wasn't pushed for 4.20, when can we anticipate that
>>> this patch is merged upstream to fix our userspace statistics gathering?
>>
>> It wasn't very popular but I suppose we should do this.  The offending
>> commit is 18 months old so it doesn't seem terribly urgent.
>>
>> Why no cc:stable?
>>

> I agree that it isn't terribly urgent, we can simply blacklist the kernel
> versions where the problem occurs.  If others complain I would agree it
> warrants backport to stable, but the stable rules specifically say it must
> affect more than one user?  I don't think it would be best to guess.  But
> when userspace was implemented to determine thp eligibility using the only
> possible means to do so, it seems important to not break that.  We caught
> that it broke us, hence the patch.

There's also Michal's series to expand THP eligibility reporting. If it
would be feasible for you to switch to that implementation in your
userspace, and perhaps only locally and temporarily add your patch to
your currently used older kernel versions, then the benefit would be one
less obscure exception in the kernel API.

If it's infeasible then I don't think further discussion is needed and
we should abide by the do-not-break-userspace rule. I'd say stable is up
to you as well in this case, whether you're going to consume the fixed
stable versions.