Re: [RFC] better visibility into kworkers

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 2:32 PM Tejun Heo <tj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The least disruptive thing likely is silently skipping !printable
> chars.  I'm not sure about the cost vs. benefit tho.  It's silly to
> include !printables in comm but maybe people use utf-whatever or other
> encodings for comm somewhere in the world which could be incorrectly
> skipped?  I'm leaning more towards just letting it be and letting
> userland deal with it.  What do you think?

The utf-8 argument is certainly valid.  I'd hate to cause trouble for
non-English-speaking people.

And at least procps-ng seems to do the printability right in user space,
and apparently it's not a big deal for systemd either, so I guess it's not
worth worrying about it.

Also, if we actually just make /proc/<pid>/cmdline always fall back to
using p->comm[], then it doesn't even matter: only kernel threads will have
an empty cmdline, and kernel threads won't have unprintable characters
unless we've screwed up majorly.

And people are bound to already be careful with /proc/<pid>/cmdline, since
that is always binary (at the very least, it has the NUL characters for
argument boundaries)

              Linus