Re: [RFC] better visibility into kworkers

Hello,

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 11:34:50AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> I would suspect that we can try to help this buggy systemd situation two
> ways:

So, yeah, I didn't update my installation for a while and it doesn't
have the fixed test.

>   - for non-kernel threads, we could always fill in /proc/<pid>/cmdline with
> the contents of 'comm[]' if we cannot return any data from the actual user
> space mapping.

Yeah, sounds great.  Will prep a patch.

>   - make sure that __set_task_comm() does that 'isprint()' so that we never
> expose unprintable characters if somebody does something fishy.

The least disruptive thing likely is silently skipping !printable
chars.  I'm not sure about the cost vs. benefit tho.  It's silly to
include !printables in comm but maybe people use utf-whatever or other
encodings for comm somewhere in the world which could be incorrectly
skipped?  I'm leaning more towards just letting it be and letting
userland deal with it.  What do you think?

Thanks.

--
tejun