Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] & [TECH TOPIC] Improve regression tracking

On Wed, 2017-07-05 at 12:04 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Jul 2017 08:36:55 -0700
> James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > > Are we tracking regressions or just simply bugs?
> >
> > A lot of device driver regressions are bugs that previously existed
> > in the code but which didn't manifest until something else
> > happened.  A huge number of locking and timing issues are like
> > this.  The irony is that a lot of them go from race always being
> > won (so bug never noticed) to race being lost often enough to make
> > something unusable.  To a user that ends up being a kernel
> > regression because it's a bug in the current kernel which they
> > didn't see previously which makes it unusable for them.
> >
> > I've got to vote with my users here: that's a regression not a
> > "feature".
>
> Let's take a step back. What exactly is the problem?

You mean what question was I answering?  It was your "is your problem a
regression?" one.

> The regressions that we want to track? Why are they not fixed? Is it
> because they are hard to reproduce? If so, how do we know they are a
> regression or just some hard to hit bug? If it's hard to hit, how do
> we know we fixed it?

Usually for the exposed races we develop a theoretical model which
tells us what the problem is and also the solution.

> What exactly are the questions we want solved.

In the context of this subthread?  Tracking and fixing of regressions
meaning behaviour that damages or destroys usability of version k+1
that wasn't present in version k.

> Granted, I used this thread to push more use of kselftests, and I
> don't see any SCSI tests there at all!

It would be an interesting question for another thread to consider
whether that's a problem or not.

James