Re: System freezes after "could not getpeername"

terry white wrote:

> : but there seems to be a correlation between the getpeername call in inted and
> : the freeze of the machine, so I prefer to avoid inetd in this case .
>
>    i tend to think that solution cosmetic at best, and at worst, a
> misdirected effort.  my reading of the 'inetd' manpage does not suggest
> it calls 'getpeername',

It calls getpeername() to determine whether the connection originates
from port 20 (ftp-data), and refuses it if it does (to prevent FTP
"bounce" attacks):

http://ftp.fr.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/src/usr.sbin/inetd/inetd.c

Personally, I think that the inetd messages are unlikely to be related
to the system freezing. They just happen to be the only thing in the
"messages" log file.

The sort of things which will cause a hard lock up (i.e. requiring the
use of Alt-SysRq to reboot) won't log anything in "messages". If
they're logged anywhere (which isn't guaranteed), it's more likely to
be "kernel".

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>