Re: System freezes after "could not getpeername"

... ciao:

: on "8-30-2010" "Andreas Moroder" writ:

:  inetd[1397]: could not getpeername
: according to this on other OSes getpeername is used
: http://fxr.googlebit.com/source/usr.sbin/inetd/inetd.c?v=OPENBSD-CURRENT

    and from that:

   "44  * Inetd - Internet super-server
    45  *
    46  * This program invokes all internet services as needed.
    ----------------------^
    47  * connection-oriented services are invoked each time a
    48  * connection is made, by creating a process.  This process
    ---------------------------------^---------^
    49  * is passed the connection as file descriptor 0 and is
    50  * expected to do a getpeername to find out the source host
    ----------^----------------^
    51  * and port."

    from my reading of that, 'inetd' is reporting an error of a child
process, not one of its own making.  'getpeername' suggests a name
resolution issue as reported by inetd.

: Could you please explain me why you would start to look at bind ?

    i've had sendmail hang my system on dns failure.  in fact, i test for
a working dns before calling sendmail.

: One strange thing we also see on the machine ist that
: /proc/sys/fs/file-nr is constantly growing. May it be that getpeername did
: stop to work because it needed a filehandle and did not get it ?

    i don't know enough about that, to even guess ...

--
... it's not what you see ,
    but in stead , notice ...