Re: Preventing SSH timeouts . Some clarification needed

query wrote:

> >> okay..Thanks for the clarification . Since the host sometimes
> >> continues to remain busy for around 2 hours ,
> >
> > Busy to the point that ssh/sshd doesn't get *any* CPU time for 2
> > hours? Either you're misunderstanding something, or that's a seriously
> > misconfigured server.
>
> That is my misunderstanding only .The CPU is 100% busy but it is not
> that all the 100% is being utilized by our process and no other
> process is getting the CPU time.  I will calculate an optimal value by
> going through once more over the system during the peak CPU
> utilization .
> But I am still confused who is terminating the connection in our case
> and on how is calculating the timeout value.
> AS you mentioned in your first comment that it the kernel who is
> terminating the connection , but based on what it is terminating
> the connection . As you said earlier , Keep-alive allows us to detect
> that a host is unreachable (e.g.
> network failure, system crash, power failure, etc) , It is not going
> to kill sshd ,

It won't kill sshd; however, if packets (data or keep-alives) which
are sent to the client stop being acknowledged, operations on the
socket will eventually fail with ETIMEDOUT. At this point, sshd will
close the connection of its own accord.

The relevant setting is /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_retries2:

       tcp_retries2 (integer; default: 15; since Linux 2.2)
	      The maximum number of times a TCP	 packet	 is  retransmitted  in
	      established  state  before  giving up.  The default value is 15,
	      which corresponds to a duration of approximately between	13  to
	      30  minutes,  depending  on  the	retransmission	timeout.   The
	      RFC 1122 specified minimum limit of  100	seconds	 is  typically
	      deemed too short.

The initial retransmission timeout is determined by the measured
round-trip latency for the connection. Subsequent retransmissions
occur at exponentially increasing intervals, capped at 120 seconds.

If keep-alives aren't being sent, the connection can only time out as
a result of data being sent. If keep-alives are being sent, a timeout
can occur even if the connection is otherwise idle (that's the purpose
of keep-alives).

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>