Re: Preventing SSH timeouts . Some clarification needed

Thanks for the suggestion .

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Glynn Clements <glynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> query wrote:
>
>> One work around I could see is adding a  timeout value using
>> ClientAliveInterval option in /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the server side
>> . Assume I have set the timeout value to 300 .
>>

>> " The above option as per the sshd man page tells that it sets a
>> timeout interval in seconds after which if no data has been received
>> from the client, sshd(8) will send a message through the encrypted
>> channel to request a response from the client. "
>>
>> Let's take a situation where the SSH client is 100% busy or idle and
>> it had communicated to the server for around 300 seconds , then in
>> this case if the above option is there , the server should send a
>> message to the client after 300 secs . The following two scenarios are
>> coming to my mind.
>>
>> 1)  if the server is also 100% busy during that time and could not
>> send the message to the client , will the ssh connection will be
>> dropped .
>> 2) or Suppose the server was somewhat free after 350 secs , in that
>> case will it drop the connection or it will send a message to the
>> client to check whether the client is active or not since it could not
>> send the message at 300 s as it was busy during the time .
>
> According to the sshd_config(5) manpage, the server will close the
> connection after ClientAliveCountMax messages (default value: 3) have
> been sent.
>
> I can't see how this can be caused by load. If you haven't yet enabled
> ClientAliveInterval, then the connection isn't being closed by sshd
> but by the kernel, due to TCP keep-alives not being acknowledged.

okay...that may be the cause . The client host was also busy because
of which TCP keep-alive
were not acknowledged.

> By default, the kernel doesn't start sending keep-alives until the
> connection has been idle for 2 hours, after which it sends 9 probes at
> an interval of 75 seconds, so the system would need to be
> non-responsive for over 11 minutes. And the responses are generated by
> the kernel, so they'll be sent even if the process is suspended.
>
> As Michal suggests, the most likely reason for this is a NAT timeout.
> If you're using NAT, you probably want to set the keep-alive time
> (/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time) to a value less than the NAT
> timeout. Even then, that will only work for programs which enable
> keep-alive (ssh and sshd both do by default; this is controlled by the
> TCPKeepAlive option).

How to determine the value of NAT timeout . Is it at the host level or
the device where NATing is implemented . I was able to
find the keepalive timeout value at the host .

====
$ sudo sysctl -a | grep -i keepalive
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = 7200
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_probes = 9
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl = 75
=====

Most likely I am not behind NAT , I will confirm it tomorrow . If that
is the case , then which should I consider to increase the timeout
value.
The kernel timeout value or implement either TCPKeepAlive option or
the ClientAliveInterval interval . TCPKeepAlive option is somehow
disabled
in the sshd config file .  Please clarify regarding this.

> --
> Glynn Clements <glynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Once again , thanks all

--Zaman