Re: Preventing SSH timeouts . Some clarification needed

query <query.cdac@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Sorry , I failed to understand the above statement . But I have
> something in mind , I will try it tomorrow .
> From the source machine , I send a packet to remote host on a
> different network   . Now If I  capture packet on the remote host and
> it comes out to be different ip address than the source host , then
> probably I am behind NAT.  These hosts are having private ip address.

Yes, that's what I've written. ;)

You run “ifconfig” an one machine at it will show you what's it's IP
address (there may be several interfaces).  Then you connect from this
machine to the other machine and check the source address on the other
machine.  Repeat for the other direction even thou, if you actually can
connect from one machine to the other then it is likely that the one you
are connecting to is not behind NAT.

> These hosts are not providing any Internet service and mainly
> responsible for processing around Gigabits of data . The processing
> continues for around 24 hours , During the processing , it utilizes
> around 100% CPU for around 4 hours and the connection drop happened
> during that time . Not sure what processig goes on during the time
> which takes all the CPU . The user we are talking here is the user
> under whom these processes runs .

If the processing takes so much time and is so CPU consuming I'd try
running it with nice, ie.: “nice -n 20 process-data” rather then plain
“process-data” command.

If the dropping in fact happens only while high CPU usage than maybe in
fact it is a culprit.  By running the processing via nice it gets lower
priority (so in effect everything else gets higher priority in
comparison).  This could help SSH get its desired CPU interval in time.

--
Best regards,                                         _     _
 .o. | Liege of Serenly Enlightened Majesty of      o' \,=./ `o