Expanding an LVM

Hi,

I think I may have made a error in the method I have used to create
more space on one of my servers.

Here's what I've done.

1) Backed up the LVM volume (phew)
2) Added some disks to the storage array (HP MSA 20)
3) Used the HW Array configurator to do and on-line extend of the
Raid Array.

It was at this point I realised that I hadn't un-mounted the volume
in question.

The other thing I am trying to figure out is, how I am going to
extend a Physical Volume? I think the procedure should have been to
add a completely new array and use pvcreate, vgextend, lvextend and
extended the filesystem (ext3).

Can anyone confirm if the procedure above is the correct?

Right now I am considering deleting the RAID container completely and
re-creating and restoring rather than waste any more time but before
I do I'd like to hear it if sounds like the procedure is bound to
fail.

At the moment I think the best I can hope for is that the volume will
be fine but the extra disk-space will never be seen?

Any thoughts?
Tia,
Dp.