Re: Help with sendmail

MattyB wrote:

> I have setup sendmail on my RedHat ES V4 and I need to setup sendmail on
> this machine as an SMTP relay host only.  It will not receive email, just
> send it from the localhost and another host that will send mail via a J2EE
> application.
>
> I setup sendmail to accept relaying from other hosts, and I don't recieve
> any errors when sending mail from others hosts or the local host (using
> sendmail -v <email_address>), but all the emails I send are stuck in the que
> and they can't seem to get out.  I tried sending emails to my personal
> yahoo.com and netzero.net email accounts, and I receive no error messages,
> but when I check the que using  "mailq", I see the following (my real email
> address was replayced with (my address)):
>
> l8NJtYPd010475        0 Sun Sep 23 14:55 <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

As Adrian notes, localhost.localdomain isn't valid. You need to either
configure your hostname and domain to something which is valid, or
tell sendmail to masquerade as an appropriate domain, e.g.:

	FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
	MASQUERADE_AS(`my.domain.com')dnl
	MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`localhost.localdomain')dnl

If you use the domain from your email address, ensure that all mails
are sent using a valid username (i.e. don't use "root" unless you have
an entire domain; do *not* send mail which has root@xxxxxxxxx as the
sender).

When originating mail locally, you can use the -f option to set the
envelope sender. Note that this will generate an X-Authentication-Warning
header if the sender isn't trusted (in class T, normally read from
/etc/mail/trusted-users).

>                  (Deferred: Connection timed out with c.mx.mail.yahoo.com.)

"Connection timed out" suggests a networking problem. Does e.g.
"telnet c.mx.mail.yahoo.com. 25" work from the host running sendmail?

Note that many ISPs prohibit direct outbound SMTP connections,
requiring that mail is sent through their mail servers.

If this is the case, you need to configure sendmail to forward
outbound email to their server , e.g.:

	define(`SMART_HOST', `mail.yourisp.net')

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
-