ncurses and ls problem - I thought they're colors but it's not!

Hi all,
I'm quite attonished by this problem. I've got two Linux server on two
different networks, connected thru a vpn tunnel (made by hardware). Until
yesterday everything was working fine, today there's a strange behaviour. If
i conenct (telnet,ssh) from server A to B, then I can execute each
application. If I telnet from B to A I cannot either do ls. I mean, the
command is parsed, then no output is presented and the cursor remains
waiting, without presenting the command prompt. After a while I found that
the problem was related to use of colors in ls, and in fact removing the
colors (my ls was aliased as ls='ls --color=tty') I was able to do ls and to
see the normal behaviour. But I'm unable to execute any other program, either
ncurses based ones, either emacs, either 'env'.
I've tried to change the TERM variable (that on both hosts is set to xterm),
trying vt100, but I cannot get the system working.
I've trying to connect to A and B separately from another network, and both
work. Thus the problem seems to be between A and B, or better between the A
network and the B network. Of course, nothing changed since yesterday, and
I'm sure of that!
I've tried to reset routers and vpn appliances, and I've checked that there's
not a firewall that blocks connections (and in fact all protocols seem to
work, and speed is good as usual).
Where should I look for?

Luca
-