Re: reading dat tapes

Luca Ferrari wrote:

> I've got a few tapes (2gb) made with retrospect, a software for apple systems.
> I'd like to read all of them and put on a disk or a few dvds, thus I tried to
> use my linux dat (20gb) with the command:
> dd if=/dev/st0 of=/tmp/dat1 bs=1024
> but it doesn't copy anything (exits with 0 bytes read and 0 write). Am I doing
> something wrong or just Linux cannot read retrospect tapes (I guess it
> should, being a raw copy)? Or simply I cannot read tapes of 2 gb with a 20gb
> reader?
> Any idea?

DAT tapes can use a variety of densities and block sizes, and can use
compression. You typically have to use "mt" to set the drive to use
the same settings as were used for writing the tape. A corollary of
this is that the drive used for reading the tape has to support the
format with which it was written.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
-