Re: /dev/pts/n

Thanx. that's a start.

sysctl -a | grep pty:
kernel.pty.nr = 13
kernel.pty.max = 4096

So I should have enough as a maximum. I am not a sure what the pty.nr
means (possibly next available number??).

The crux of my problem is the database frontend has a table of
terminal definitions which I have defined as /dev/pts/0....50. Now
from what you have said (and I have seen it in action now) the only
way to create files in /dev/pts/ is to ssh into the system. However
the database frontend is a java-terminal that operates out of a
browser window. I don't think it knows how to open a pty.

I have tried to use mknod to create devices and I get operation not
permitted. So I am a bit stuck at the moment.

Thanx for the help though.
Dp.