Re: /dev/pts/n

At 16:27 06/01/2006, Dermot Paikkos wrote:
Hi,

I have been trying to working out how to create additional pseudo-
terminal devices in pts. Currently there are 9 device file in
/dev/pts numbered between 1 - 12.

I need to ensure that I can have about 40 users attach to the system
using xterminals. I have tried MAKEDEV but nothing happens. The man
pages for pts doesn't say how to make any new devices, only that a
pty are opened when a process opens /dev/ptmx.

Does anyone know who I can create new character files in /dev/pts?

I'm not authorative on this subject but here goes.

They will be created automatically for you. Hence why you have missing numbers in your current sequence.
As someone logs out the pts is destroyed.

The limit is a kernel parameter. Most distros i have seen had the limit set to 256.

Older kernels require a change to the kernel config and recompile, newer kernels should be controllable
with sysctl.

Try "sysctl -a | grep pty" and see what you get. Not sure if this is correct but might be.

Try googling for "pseudo tty" and look at the kernel docos.

--
Carl

-