Re: new install - SCSI support problem

On 15 Mar 2005 at 9:44, chuck gelm wrote:

> Dermot Paikkos wrote:
> > Hi Admins
> >
> > 	SYS: AMD Opteron, LSI Logic MegaRaid 320-1SCSI.
> > 	OS: Slackware 9.1 kernel v2.4.22
> >
> > My new hardware has arrived but I am a bit stuck. None of the kernels
> > seem to support my SCSI card. I thought the way forward would be to
> > compile a new v2.6.9 kernel on a different system. 2.6 kernels have
> > native support for the LSI MegaRaid. Boot the new system from the OS
> > CD and at the boot prompt specify the 2.6.9 kernel which I have
> > hopefully made small enough to fit onto a floppy. Questions:
> >
> > 1) How to I get the boot prompt to use a kernel on a floppy?
>
> I think that the new kernels are too large to 'boot from' or 'fit on'
> a floppy.
>
> > 2) Does this sound viable?
>
> Not to me.
>
> > 3) Are there any gotchas with this?
>
> First you will need to find a kernel that supports your SCSI controller.
> Second it will need to fit on a floppy.
>
> > Thanx.
> > Dp.
>
> Hi, Dp:
>
>   I checked my Slackware v9.1 install disk 1 .../bootdisks/README.TXT
> and it does not mention that controller.  The only LSI controller
> mentioned is 'LSI Logic Fusion(TM) MPT devices' and it mentions that
> it is really not 'raid'.

> Perhaps you can install your SCSI drive(s) in a computer with
> hardware supported by Slackware v9.1, install the o/s, and then
> return the SCSI drive(s) to the intended computer.
>
> HTH, Chuck

I have downloaded the source for the 2.6.9 and in the config there
does seem to be some explict mention of LSI MegaRaid in the SCSI
drivers.
Your right though the kernel is 4603660 bytes and I tried to make it
as slim as possible.

I did a make bzImage and that file is 1590511. Is it possible to boot
from this?

Thanx.
Dp.

-