Re: new install - SCSI support problem

Dermot Paikkos wrote:
Hi Admins

SYS: AMD Opteron, LSI Logic MegaRaid 320-1SCSI. OS: Slackware 9.1 kernel v2.4.22

My new hardware has arrived but I am a bit stuck. None of the kernels seem to support my SCSI card. I thought the way forward would be to compile a new v2.6.9 kernel on a different system. 2.6 kernels have native support for the LSI MegaRaid. Boot the new system from the OS CD and at the boot prompt specify the 2.6.9 kernel which I have hopefully made small enough to fit onto a floppy. Questions:

1) How to I get the boot prompt to use a kernel on a floppy?

I think that the new kernels are too large to 'boot from' or 'fit on' a floppy.

2) Does this sound viable?

Not to me.

3) Are there any gotchas with this?

First you will need to find a kernel that supports your SCSI controller. Second it will need to fit on a floppy.

Thanx.
Dp.

Hi, Dp:

 I checked my Slackware v9.1 install disk 1 .../bootdisks/README.TXT
and it does not mention that controller.  The only LSI controller
mentioned is 'LSI Logic Fusion(TM) MPT devices' and it mentions that
it is really not 'raid'.

 I checked my Slackware v10.1 CD and it also has no mention of your
controller.

Perhaps you can install your SCSI drive(s) in a computer with
hardware supported by Slackware v9.1, install the o/s, and then
return the SCSI drive(s) to the intended computer.

HTH, Chuck

-