Max Process Size

I have a java application which runs fine under XP ( blah )! Under Linux, on
the same dual bootable machine I get an out of memory error. In watching the
swap memory usage, It never exceeds about 400Mb total although I can watch
it ramp up ass the java program loads. I know for a fact that the single
theaded java applicatio program loads over 300Mb at initialization as I had
to bump the Xm / Xs parameters up to that to get the program to run under
XP.

BTW: This is a huge geographic database program that loads lots of map tiles
and geographic features, so its all or nothing situation. This program also
rums fine on a Sun workstations. I found some references to simillar
problems bo other people for other java programs, and there is a reference
to the maximum size of a process set at 256Mb by default. I have seached the
OS source code but have not been able to verify this restriction ( although
I only had about 2 hours to look ).

Couls someone verify this restrictions and point me to the area of the O/S
source so I can look for a workaround?

As always, all help is appreciated.

Dave
-