Re: problems with command su

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 17:01, Vladimir E. Rodriguez wrote:
> Hello, I'm new user in linux community. I have installed in my computer
> mandrake linux 10.0
>
> Sometime ago it was working normal without problems. After that I changed the
> root password, always that I want to change something in the configuration of
> the system, I run su from other user (vladimir).
>
> But the system says 'invalid password'. I tried the old, and new password, but
> it doesn't work
>
> I have to logout, and login with root to change some configurations.
>
> Anyone could help me!!

Just a wild guess, mind you, but that sounds like toggling keyboard
drivers or something. As if at a login prompt a different character set was
being delivered than happens later, once you've logged in.

Try logging in as root, and changing the password to something silly
like 111111. Then try su'ing to root as another user.

Without seeing some of the log/config info that other have requested,
it's just a guessing game, though.

Andy

-