Re: how reliable is ping?

If you have a box en the other side I would recommend your this:
http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/

I use this program to measure the bw of my hdlc links.

BR,
Matías.

Alexander Economou wrote:
My question would be if the dsl you purchased is from the same ISP.If not
then probably your packets are routed through another network that may
need more hops to reach the destination network(hypotheticaly
speaking).There are many possible reasons for your problem.I would suggest
you to try mtr (available on freshmeat)

Indeed, ping tests latency, not bandwidth. "bing" is an equivalent program
for testing bandwidth. but the best way to test it is to find some fast
sites and simply download something. typically university ftp sites have
quite good bandwidth, like ftp.funet.fi, ftp.sunet.se, etc. those two are
up
here in scandinavia, it might be best to find one near you.