Re: how reliable is ping?

Ping is supposed to show the network speed, but I wouldn't rely on it.
Use some http-based service (a java applet that measures the times it
takes to download a specific image, and shows the bandwith).
It's the best to find someone with a huge line, however I don't know
of any in italia. If you dare, try looking around at itavisen.no (a
norwegian crappy it newspaper with a huge bandwith to test that), and
manuovre to "speedometeret" and "trykk her for A ta testen".