Re: hp xterm

Luca Ferrari wrote:

> > > I've trying to get a few HP 700/RX terminal working, but I'm not very
> > > experienced with them and I'm encountering a problem. The software is
> > > installed over a suse 9.1 server, and the terminal connects rightly thru
> > > tftp to the server downloading the code. However, after the whole
> > > process, the xterm shows me the x cursor (the classical 'X') and the
> > > standard x background, and nothing more. I mean, no login prompt, no
> > > windows are displayed. The server is configured to accept xdmcp calls,
> > > but I cannot get the xterm working. Any idea about? I'm running kdm as
> > > login manager.
> >
> > Does the X terminal use XDMCP? Is there any record (in the log files)
> > of an XDMCP request being sent?
>
> I think so, but I'm not really experienced about them. However, in the log I
> found the following:

[snip]

> and nothing in the messages. Xinetd stores only things about tftp, that seems
> to work rightly. The following are my configuration files:

> lx01:~ # cat /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc

> [Xdmcp]
> # Whether KDM should listen to XDMCP requests. Default is true.
> Enable=true

> Any idea?

Realistically, I think that you are going to need to use tcpdump (or
ethereal etc) to check that the terminals are actually sending out
XDMCP requests. If they aren't, no amount of server-side configuration
will have any effect.

Once you've determined that XDMCP requests are actually being sent,
you can look into the server-side configuration.

If you can't get the terminals to issue XDMCP requests, the only
solution is to forcibly manage them, by adding them to the Xservers
file. This requires that the terminals are started before xdm/kdm.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
-