Re: hp xterm

On Friday 5 November 2004 06:11 your cat walking on the keyboard wrote:

> Luca Ferrari wrote:
> > I've trying to get a few HP 700/RX terminal working, but I'm not very
> > experienced with them and I'm encountering a problem. The software is
> > installed over a suse 9.1 server, and the terminal connects rightly thru
> > tftp to the server downloading the code. However, after the whole
> > process, the xterm shows me the x cursor (the classical 'X') and the
> > standard x background, and nothing more. I mean, no login prompt, no
> > windows are displayed. The server is configured to accept xdmcp calls,
> > but I cannot get the xterm working. Any idea about? I'm running kdm as
> > login manager.
>
> Does the X terminal use XDMCP? Is there any record (in the log files)
> of an XDMCP request being sent?

I think so, but I'm not really experienced about them. However, in the log I
found the following:

<kdm.log>

XFree86 Version 4.3.99.902 (4.4.0 RC 2)
Release Date: 18 December 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: SuSE Linux [ELF] SuSE
Current Operating System: Linux lx01 2.6.4-52-default #1 Wed Apr 7 02:08:30
UTC 2004 i686
Build Date: 06 April 2004
Changelog Date: 29 February 2004
        Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
Module Loader present
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Fri Nov  5 18:49:44 2004
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"
(WW) SIS(0): Failed to set up write-combining range (0xd0000000,0x2000000)
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local, removing from
list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID, removing from
list!

and nothing in the messages. Xinetd stores only things about tftp, that seems
to work rightly. The following are my configuration files:

lx01:~ # cat /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
# KDM configuration example.
# Note, that all comments will be lost if you change this file with
# the kcontrol frontend.
#
# Definition: the greeter is the login dialog, i.e., the part of KDM
# which the user sees.
#
# You can configure every X-display individually.
# Every display has a display name, which consists of a host name
# (which is empty for local displays specified in the Xservers file),
# a colon and a display number. Additionally, a display belongs to a
# display class (which can be ignored in most cases; the control center
# does not support this feature at all).
# Sections with display-specific settings have the formal syntax
# "[X-" host [":" number [ "_" class ]] "-" sub-section "]"
# You can use the "*" wildcard for host, number and class. You may omit
# trailing components; they are assumed to be "*" then.
# The host part may be a domain specification like ".inf.tu-dresden.de".
# From which section a setting is actually taken is determined by these
# rules:
# - an exact match takes precedence over a partial match (for the host part),
#   which in turn takes precedence over a wildcard
# - precedence decreases from left to right for equally exact matches
# Example: display name "myhost:0", class "dpy".
# [X-myhost:0_dpy] precedes
# [X-myhost:0_*] (same as [X-myhost:0]) precedes
# [X-myhost:*_dpy] precedes
# [X-myhost:*_*] (same as [X-myhost]) precedes
# [X-*:0_dpy] precedes
# [X-*:0_*] (same as [X-*:0]) precedes
# [X-*:*_*] (same as [X-*])
# These sections do NOT match this display:
# [X-hishost], [X-myhost:0_dec], [X-*:1], [X-:*]
# If a setting is not found in any matching section, the default is used.
#
# Every comment applies to the following section or key.
# The defaults refer to KDM's built-in values, not anything set in this file.
#

[General]
# This option exists solely for the purpose of a clean automatic upgrade.
# Don't even think about changing it!
ConfigVersion=2.0
# If "false", KDM won't daemonize after startup. Note, that you needn't to
# use this if you start KDM from inittab, as KDM won't daemonize in this case
# automatically. Default is true.
#DaemonMode=false
# If the value starts with a slash (/), it specifies the file, where X-servers
# to be used by KDM are listed; the file is in the usual XDM-Xservers format.
# Otherwise it's interpreted like one line of the Xservers file, i.e., it
# specifies exactly one X-server.
# Default is ":0 local@tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7"
# XXX i'm planning to absorb this file into kdmrc, but i'm not sure how to
# do this best.
Xservers=/etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/Xservers
# Where KDM should store its PID. Default is "" (don't store)
PidFile=/var/run/kdm.pid
# Whether KDM should lock the pid file to prevent having multiple KDM
# instances running at once. Leave it "true", unless you're brave.
#LockPidFile=false
# Where to store authorization files. Default is /var/run/xauth
AuthDir=/var/lib/xdm/authdir/authfiles/
# Whether KDM should automatically re-read configuration files, if it
# finds them having changed. Just keep it "true".
#AutoRescan=false
# Additional environment variables KDM should pass on to kdm_config,
kdm_greet,
# Xsetup, Xstartup, Xsession, and Xreset. LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a good candidate;
# otherwise it shouldn't be necessary very often.
#ExportList=SOME_VAR,ANOTHER_IMPORTANT_VAR
# Where the command FiFos should be created. Make it empty to disable
# the FiFos. Default is /var/run/xdmctl
#FifoDir=/tmp
# To which group the command FiFos should belong.
# Default is -1 (effectively root)
#FifoGroup=xdmctl

[Xdmcp]
# Whether KDM should listen to XDMCP requests. Default is true.
Enable=true
# The UDP port KDM should listen on for XDMCP requests. Don't change the 177.
Port=177
# File with the private keys of X-terminals. Required for XDM authentication.
# Default is ""
#KeyFile=/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmkeys
# XDMCP access control file in the usual XDM-Xaccess format.
# Default is /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/Xaccess
# XXX i'm planning to absorb this file into kdmrc, but i'm not sure how to
# do this best.
Xaccess=/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess
# Number of seconds to wait for display to respond after the user has
# selected a host from the chooser. Default is 15.
#ChoiceTimeout=10
# Strip domain name from remote display names if it is equal to the local
# domain. Default is true
#RemoveDomainname=false
# Use the numeric IP address of the incoming connection instead of the
# host name. Use this on multihomed hosts. Default is false
#SourceAddress=true
# The program which is invoked to dynamically generate replies to XDMCP
# BroadcastQuery requests.
# By default no program is invoked and "Willing to manage" is sent.
Willing=/etc/X11/xdm/Xwilling

and

lx01:~ # cat /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess
*                                       #any host can get a login window
*               CHOOSER BROADCAST       #any indirect host can get a chooser

Any idea?

Luca

--
Luca Ferrari,