Re: IDE disk drive controllers and disk drive sizes supported by RedHat 9 Shrike

Alexander Povolotsky wrote:

Hi,

I have Linux Red Hat 9 on Pentium III PC (Dell Optiplex 110 )
running off the 8 Gb Disk Drive; there is also small boot drive on that IDE controller.

I ran out of disk space on that 8 Gb disk drive.

There is also another IDE controller for the functional CD-ROM there.

I bought (3rd) SIIG UltraATA 100 PCI Controller and 80 Gb Western Digital IDE disk drive - could I add this new controller with this new

Do You have a (1st and 2nd) SIIG UltraATA PCI Controller or is this the first 'add on' PCI IDE card?

disk drive and somehow make existing Linux Red Hat 9 recognize this new drive as additional disk space ? Is SIIG UltraATA 100 PCI Controller supported by RedHat 9 ?

If BIOS can recognize the drives on the new controller card,
I will bet that linux will be able to use them. 'Somehow make existing linux'
recognize the drive just like it somehow recognizes the current drives.
Edit 'fstab' or mount the new partitions manually with a script.

If yes, do I need to do something specific (like compiling module ? - if yes - could be 'dynamically loadable module' or the module should be statically compiled into the kernel ? -
are steps to be performed documented someplace on-line ?).

You did not mention, but are your existing drives IDE?
If yes, you need NOT load any more modules than you already have.
If yes, you already have the necessary drivers (modules or static).

Somebody told me that 'SIIG's IDE controller is a bad choice for Linux Red Hat 9 and that IDE controller from 'Promise' is supported by RedHat 9 - is it true ?

My three (3) Promise PCI IDE controller cards are recognized by the BIOS on each separate motherboard.
BIOS recognizes them, therefore linux recognizes them.

IIRC, Promise mentions that three (3) of their cards can be added to a single motherboard.

Is 80 Gb drive in general supported by RedHat 9 (which is Linux kernel 2.4 based ) ? If not what is the largest size supported: 10 Gb ? 20 Gb ? 40 Gb ?

I am using kernel 2.4.22 and it recognizes my new 250 Gigabyte hard drive.

Suppose alternatively to above discussed I will just add 20 Gb drive to the second (available) slot on the existent IDE controller, which now controls the CD-ROM - will it work ? (... and if 'yes' - are any actions needed on my part ?).

If this SIIG controller is faster that the 'built in' controller on your motherboard,
you may want to put your faster drives on it too.

If you were more specific with your equipment;
'Dell Optiplex 110' has a UDMA [33, 66, 100, 133] controller on IDE0.
" ? ? ? ? " IDE1.
The SIIG as mentioned appears to be UDMA 100.

Short answer, Yes.
Long answer, Yes probably.

Please try installing the card and attaching the new drive and let us know what happens.
OBTW, why are we crossposting?
IMHO, this would be better served in linux-newbie.
:-|
HTH, Chuck

Thanks,
Alex