sendmail queues

If my sendmail's queue fills up for some reason (for example, if a primary
MX is down and my sendmail is its secondary MX), it takes _ages_ for it to
empty out again. Sendmail seems to process each spooled file consecutively
instead of in parallel, and for some reason takes ages on each. It seems
like it doesnt "trash" mails ever. Some of the mails in the spool are a
month old - in most cases probably spam or similar mails that dont have a
valid destination at all, therefore simply just eat up sendmail's time as it
goes through them all, waiting for timeout on each.
Shouldn't mails older than 5 days simply get trashed, since I have
Timeout.queuereturn set to 5d?
-