Re: Linux based router for Gigabit traffic

On 2004.08.23 08:56, David S. Miller wrote:
On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 08:49:04 -0400
Neil Horman <nhorman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Quite simply a general purpose CPU system isn't  normally built to
> handle network traffic at gigabit rates, especially not from
multiple
> ports at once.  If you really want a line rate gigabit router, you
need
> custom ASIC to do hardware offload of that work.  Several networking

Gigabit routing is possible with commodity hardware.  It's a software
problem for the cases that go fast enough currently.
-

Possible, but only up to 2 gbps. Correct me if I'm wrong, but one full-
duplex gigabit card alone can fill up the entire theoretical maximum bandwidth of the PCI bus, which is only 266MBps.
Four gigabit cards on a normal PCI bus is far more than PCI can handle.
-