Re: Linux based router for Gigabit traffic

Anantha Kiran wrote:

Hi
I am doing a project, in which i have to redirect traffic coming from
one ethernet card of a machine, to one of three remaining three
ethernet cards of same machine based on the src,dest IP and Port
values of the pkt. I wrote a net_hook module to do this which i
working fine for lower speeds like < 400 Mbps traffic. But project
goal is to deal with gigabit traffic. I have used gigabit ethernet
cards and Switch. But when the traffic rate is more than 400Mbps it is
dropping packets.  I did test, by increasing the transmit queue
length. But same problem is coming. I have found during the pkt drop
there is no memory or CPU is hundred percently utilised. So, what can
be the resource that is lacking while dropping of pkts is happend.

We have done a test, in which module will simply forward pkts from
"eth0" through "eth1". Same problem of pkt dropping at highier speed
is happening.

Now we thought , it can be due to PCI bus. But we are unable to find
what is configuration of PCI bus , our system is using. we have used
"lspci" to find that. But i am unable to interpret it. I am attaching
that output file. Can anybody tell me how to interpret that or give
some guidelines , like whom to mail, to find that.

Atlast we try to solve the problem in the following manner. Idea is
to, install a router for my machine which can deal with gigabit
traffic. If the router is able to work with gigabit traffic, then
definitely pkts dropping will not be due to PCI bus.

So, canbdoy please, suggest some opensource router for linux which
can deal with gigabit traffic. Or atleast some suggestions to solve
this problem.

Quite simply a general purpose CPU system isn't normally built to handle network traffic at gigabit rates, especially not from multiple ports at once. If you really want a line rate gigabit router, you need custom ASIC to do hardware offload of that work. Several networking companies make just such hardware (of course most only sell the chips, not full pci cards with integrated NICS). Check out broadcom, AMCC or Intel, they all have hardware like what you're looking for.
Neil
-