Re: VPN question

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 11:51:03AM +0300, urgrue wrote:
> This is all true, but one thing to check before embarking on this
> rather large project is whether your VPN fall into this category of
> "cant be NATted VPNs" in the first place.
> Of the VPN solutions I've used, only IPSEC minds if the IPs are NATted.
> and if I remember correctly, IPSEC minds even if its a one-to-one NAT.

	IPSec NAT-T works great over NAT devices (can even be double
NAT'ed) and over firewalls.  Even Windows XP supports it.  Runs over
UDP port 4500 for both IKE and AH/ESP and few firewalls or NAT devices
even blink.

	Simple FreeS/WAN - no
	Super FreeS/WAN - yes
	StrongSWAN - yes
	OpenSWAN - yes
	KAME - yes
	Raccoon - YES!

	2.4.x kernel with KLIPS - qualified yes (anything other than simple FS)
	2.4.x kernel with IPSec Backport - yes
	2.6 kernel - absolutely

	All of the above "yes" interoperate (as well as they do without NAT-T)

	IPv4 - Yes
	IPv6 - No (think about it, why would you need it?)

> So I'd suggest you simply configure your router/firewall to NAT all
> those internal IPs to the same external IP and see if it works, before
> starting to set up a more complicated solution.

	Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/