running fsck in runlevel 3 and single user mode serial access problems

Is there a safe way to run fsck in  run level 3?
I have a situation where if I  shutdown this system it will not boot until
I run fsck to clean up the disk. Also, it is a headless Linux system
and if I try to access  the system in single user mode over the
serial port, I keep getting a new maintenance prompt after
every keystroke. So I cannot get into single user mode from the seiral port
and I cannot complete my boot
until I run fsck from single user mode. Bummer.

I was able to attach a monitor and keyboard and enter single user mode
from the console.  Then I can run fsck and finish my boot. But i
do not want to keep physically attaching a keyboard and monitor to this machine
and trottting over to it every time it needs a reboot.

Any thoughts on how to handle this?

Thanks,
Rudy
-