split a file or return shell variable to a program

Hello everbody
I have a text file I want to split. The file contains some sentences. between sentences I have empty 1 line. I want to split this file and put each sentence in a separate file with names 1, 2,3 ...
do you have any idea to split it such as with awk or split?

Here is my strategy:

I wrote a C program in which I call bash shell script to increment a variable...

In the shell I defined the variable k such as:
$export k=1
in my bash script file,myFile,  for testing, I put
echo $k
let k+=1
(or this expression k=`expr $k + 1`)
echo $k

when I run this script file, it gives me
1
2

the problem is when I called form a C or C++ program, such
system("echo $k");
//this gives 1
system("./myFile");
// this display
// 1
//2
system("echo $k");
//here the problem, it display 1 not 2

I want to have the incremented value for k, i.e 2 not the original one.

Do you have any hint?

Vick