Does Linux Redhat 9 reassign eth numbering?

We've had quite a hectic morning here where I work. Our Linux Redhat 9 box
was connected to the Internet, but nobody on the network was able to access
the Internet / Server. We narrowed the problem down to a bad network card.

After some configuration, my question...

Upon first boot, Linux found we had removed the old card. We removed the old
configuration. It then prompted us about the insertion of the new card; we
automatically configured it. We were unable to set up our card correctly,
however, until we discovered that apparently, what had once been eth0 was
now eth1. We got things working after we switched the good working card to
its original assignment of eth0.

Therefore, does Linux default to eth0 if an old configuration is removed?

Thanks,
Eve Atley

-